Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Brunch Casserole with dry mustard


I organized a cook-book fundraiser for a non-profit group*, and thought this recipe from my friend Hannah looked amazing! After being lazy for some five years while eyeing the sort-of long list of ingredients, I finally prepared it because the dry mustard called for in the recipe met this challenge criteria... and it was delicious.

The original recipe called for a 9x13 pan worth of casserole, so I halved the recipe and added some vegetables. Here is what you will need:
2 or 3 slices of bread, cubed (I found that 3 slices made for 4 large servings of casserole, and high fiber bread tasted good)
1 cup of shredded cheese
5 eggs
2 cups of milk (I used skim milk)
½ tsp dry mustard (next time I will up it to 1 teaspoon, so don’t be shy)
optional pepper (I did not add more salt as called for because I sautéed the vegetables in the bacon fat)
½ small onion, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
half a bag of spinach (2-4 cups, not packed down)
5 or more slices of bacon (I used 5 this time, but would use more next time)

Preheat oven to 350.
I like my bacon extra crispy, so I cooked the bacon first, then added all the veggies to the pan. I cooled the bacon down on paper towels and cut it into small pieces using kitchen shears. You can keep the veggies raw as a time-saver.
Beat eggs, milk, and mustard together.
Put bread cubes in the bottom of the baking dish (I thought since I was using half the recipe, I should use a smaller dish, but the bread cubes really expanded with the egg mixture, so I may try it in the larger dish next time for a thinner casserole).
Pour egg mixture on top of the bread. Cover with veggies and bacon.

Bake for one hour.

*volunteering for a project like this is time-consuming, but worth it, especially if you have the energy to taste test the recipes ahead of publication (to verify ingredient quantities, of course)!

No comments:

Post a Comment