Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Chicken Tortilla Stack with Cilantro

Again, the question of fresh vs. dried spices is at hand, but since I have dried cilantro in the spice rack, I'll plan on using fresh cilantro after it grows in plant form (and maybe in a different recipe).

This Pampered Chef recipe is not on their website, but remains a family favorite (I got it out of one of their catalogues many years ago and have adapted it). You’ll need:

4 or 5 tortillas (I used whole wheat 10 inch tortillas)
1 can – 16 oz. -  refried beans (fat free is fine)
¼ cup to ½ cup sour cream (fat free is fine)
1 jar salsa OR fresh tomatoes, olives, peppers, onions, chopped 
1 cup grated cheese (reduced fat is fine; original recipe calls for 2 cups of cheese)
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or chopped (leftover chicken with any flavors from the original meal is great, you can add any seasonings you like if using plain/raw chicken)
¼ cup fresh cilantro or 1-2 tablespoons dried cilantro

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use any type of baking dish/ stoneware- you can see that I used a small round baking pan and lined the bottom with foil. I used cooking spray on the foil. Spread refried beans on a tortilla, spread a few tablespoons of sour cream on that, then put the tortilla on the baking dish. Sprinkle some chicken on it, sprinkle cilantro, pour some salsa on (I ended up using an entire jar this time, while previously I’ve been inspired to chop up a bunch of fresh veggies) & top with a handful of shredded cheese. Repeat. Repeat. The original recipe suggests spraying the top tortilla with cooking spray, but I ended up using the last of the refried beans and cheese…not a pretty picture, but tastes great!

Bake 30 minutes or until inside cheese is melted. Garnish with tomato and/or sour cream, etc. and cut into wedges to serve. 
Do you prefer cooking with fresh or dried spices?
I don't have a photo of cilantro growing, but here is what I have on hand now:

No comments:

Post a Comment