Sunday, February 17, 2013

Creamy Broccoli Soup with 4 Spices


I’ve had this recipe http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3064453-Basic-Creamy-Vegetable-Soup?full_recipe=true in my ring-binder for 9 years now, and finally tried one of the 6 variations on Pam Anderson’s Basic Creamy Vegetable Soup. I used to find it frustrating to pour hot soup into a blender, but now with an immersion one, it’s easy to make soup and chop the bits of vegetables up finely without the back and forth of hot liquid.

I enjoyed the rich flavor of this soup, despite my substitution of skim milk and omission of butter! The onions, garlic, and spices (dried mustard, basil, oregano, and cayenne pepper) were very satisfying. Mr. Spice is not a fan of pine nuts, but loves croutons, so I decided to top the soup with reduced fat shredded cheese and a few crunchy pieces of toasted bread. I look forward to preparing the other variations of this recipe with different spices (squash, potato, beet, cauliflower, and sweet potato).

We had a tasty broccoli soup here, as well as crab soup, asparagus soup, and potato soup. What is your favorite healthy vegetable soup?

No comments:

Post a Comment