Saturday, August 31, 2013

Mushroom Summer Squash Pizza with Italian Seasoning


I haven’t been able to find a "healthy enough" store bought pizza, so I’ve tried numerous times, amidst spectacular failure, to make my own. How hard can it be, you ask? Well, my goal of a whole wheat crust has been difficult to come by, and healthy toppings just aren’t as fun as pepperoni! Success, at last, I give you:

I mentioned in a previous post a visit to the King Arthur Flour store in Vermont, and realized I should have added that nobody is paying me anything to reference their products on this blog. I have tried many purchased and home-made pizza crusts, and haven’t been crazy about any of them, until getting the whole wheat mix from KAF. Finally, decent nutritional stats along with good taste. Of course, I forgot to take pictures of the unexciting crust making process. Just follow the directions on the box.


I love mushrooms- have you noticed? I used an entire container from the grocery store because fresh mushrooms shrink in the pan…ditto with summer squash. I used several shakes of Italian spices- just keep adding to your taste! In the past, I had attempted to use chopped tomatoes for the pizza sauce, but I couldn’t “dry them out” enough to prevent them from leaving the crust soggy. I finally gave in and used some spaghetti sauce, and that made all the difference. Reduced fat shredded cheese made it complete, and I’ll be making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment