Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Gozo Island- a Malta vacation favorite!


I usually like most parts of everywhere I go, and try to come across as generally positive about it all. That said, I especially recommend Gozo to you! If I have the opportunity to return to Malta, I will make every effort to stay some nights on Gozo. 
We took another van taxi from Sliema to the ferry between Malta and Gozo. When traveling in this direction by ferry, you pay when you return to Malta (just under 5 Euro per person round trip). The ferry was a smooth ride, and the gift shop had many English language publications- a bonus for expats living in Europe!
Our van and tour guide on Gozo were exceptional. We stopped in Victoria for more churches (gasp!), an extremely short shopping walk, and more friendly conversation with locals. It’s a good thing I’m perfectly happy with Cathedral gift shops, as this Pilgrimage did not feature touristy shopping destinations such as the glassblowers or lacemakers of Malta. There was free time though, which could have included shopping instead of siesta!
We had lunch in Xlendi, with spectacular views of the water, cliffs, and a cooling breeze. How to get my over-large luggage on the ferry and across the island to this place? A problem for another day. I know, I know, less luggage!
My favorite church felt so peaceful inside. The Basilica of Our Lady of Ta’ Pinu was beautifully carved and naturally lit. It is known to be a place of healing, and the atmosphere was so different from the ostentatious decorations elsewhere. 
A friend recently said about another church that “it feels like the church is giving me a hug”. This simple yet stunning church invited me to rest, and was one of the few places that I didn’t want to leave to get somewhere else air conditioned.
I'm so grateful for the opportunity to be a Pilgrim in Malta and Gozo!

No comments:

Post a Comment