Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lemon Poppy Seed Bread


When searching for a recipe with poppy seeds, this one made sense to me right away. I’ve never prepared Lemon Poppy Seed Bread from scratch before, but have certainly enjoyed it at many events. www.joyofbaking.com/breakfast/LemonPoppyseedBread.html
Here is how I modified the recipe: 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 Tablespoon grated lemon peel (about one lemon's worth), 2 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds, 3/4 cup butter at room temperature, 2/3 cup sugar, 3 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons milk (I used skim). Glaze: 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 3 tablespoons sugar.
[I reduced the amount of sugar called for in the original recipe (modifications shown here). Next time I would use even less sugar but it sure was delicious this way.]
I’m glad I learned in a recent cooking class to really beat the butter well, and this recipe suggests times, which helped me to create a fluffy egg, sugar, butter mixture (I never had the patience before). I taste tested a warm glazed slice right away, which was superb, and the next day -per the recipe's suggestion- it was wonderful, too!
Have you ever made poppy seed bagels? I haven’t, and may try that some time. Any tips for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment