Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sesame aioli (dip/spread)


I’ve heard of aioli before, but was never sure exactly what it was (sounds exotic). After I found this recipe and tried it, with excellent results, I learned from an on-line search that aioli can be made several ways- most often with mayonnaise and garlic. It is used as a condiment, and I tried it as directed as well as inventing a new (to me) use for it. Thanks to Renee, her mother, and other sources for this delicious recipe- with slight modifications:

¼ cup mayonnaise (I used fat free)
1 TBSP sesame oil (I did not have the dark oil called for in the recipe,  but it was great with the regular version I had on hand)
2 tsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
½ tsp fresh ginger, minced (or, if you open your refrigerator like I did and look with dismay upon the shriveled piece of ginger that was fresh only “recently”, then you use powdered ginger!)
1 clove garlic, minced

Toast the sesame seeds on a baking sheet at 350 for less than 5 minutes, or in a toaster oven for 2-3 minutes. Do not over toast them as they burn easily.

Mix all ingredients together in a blender or in a small jar/plastic container with a tightly fitting lid, and shake well.
Serving suggestion: as a dipping sauce for fresh asparagus (steamed or roasted), or just pour a few spoonfuls over the asparagus on a plate.

Alternate serving suggestion: mix into some tuna for a stupendous tuna salad! It didn't look too glamourous, so I did n't take a picture of the tuna salad with aioli.
Do you have a favorite type of aioli? How do you serve it?

No comments:

Post a Comment