Monday, July 2, 2018

Stuttgart Botanical Gardens and Zoo


Someone recently recommended the Stuttgart Zoo’s botanical gardens to me, and a visit from a friend finally brought me there. I’ve felt increasingly concerned about viewing animals living in small cages, to the point where I just don’t want to observe their misery anymore. Some zoos provide large living areas for animals, and the Stuttgart zoo even has some large birds roaming feely, so I was able to enjoy the time while avoiding a few sections.

The botanical gardens begin immediately at the gate, with a series of connected buildings yielding cacti behind glass, flowers, and a large koi fish pond. The grounds on the property are filled with beautiful plants and blossoms, and there is another large greenhouse up the hill.

My favorite giraffes were a mixed bunch: one was munching on the shrubbery, while another seemed less happy, perhaps trying to go back inside? The meercats were adorable, though difficult to photograph (I could have shown you a blur!).

There were plenty of families enjoying a picnic lunch on plentiful benches and grassy areas, while a restaurant at the back of the zoo provided standard cooked fare (schnitzel, fries), along with a substantial salad bar.

The sea lions performed for fish, and the large pelicans swam placidly along a pool, while egrets flew overhead. We didn't make it inside the aquarium this time- I'll report back once I do.

You can also see bison, ostriches, camels, and many more animals. The zoo and botanical gardens are easily accessible by the Stuttgart train system, “Wilhelma” stop. I would return with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment