Sunday, September 29, 2013

Herbed Tomato Bread Pudding

In an effort to reduce the amount of fresh produce in the kitchen, I looked for a creative tomato recipe. I thought of tomato pie, but wanted a different ratio of carbs to veggies, so I kept looking. Many bread pudding recipes suggested similar ingredients, so I wrote them down and added more items, of course!

I used high fiber bread, egg substitute to replace one egg, and skim milk. Here’s how: sautee a large chopped onion in oil, add 3 minced cloves of garlic. Weigh out 4 ounces of bread, tear or cut into bite-sized pieces. Chop 4 large tomatoes. Beat three eggs and ¼ cup liquid egg substitute, add 1 ½ cups milk, salt and pepper. If using dried herbs such as basil, oregano, rosemary, add to the egg mixture. Grease a medium baking dish (a 9” round, deep dish worked for me). Layer tomatoes, bread, 1 cup shredded cheese (I used reduced fat multi-cheese blend), onion/garlic and fresh herbs of your choice, such as basil, oregano, rosemary, etc. Pour egg mixture over everything, and gently stir to ensure that all the bread pieces are moist. 

Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, until center is set. I can’t believe that I wouldn’t change any of the ingredients used to make this dish, as I often plan to after a recipe. I would only cook the onions more, or even caramelize them. Depending on the rest of your meal and who is consuming it, I would suggest adding small pieces of kielbasa or chopped bacon. 
During winter months when I don't have fresh herbs on hand, I wouldn't hesitate to use Italian spice mix, or any other combination of savory flavors. As you can see from the photos, I added in leftover corn kernels from the corn chowder recipe I made the same day.

No comments:

Post a Comment