Sunday, October 20, 2013

Eggplant Tomato Sauce with Oregano and Basil


A few posts ago, I mentioned an abundance of tomatoes and searched for recipes to use them up before the next farm share arrived. During the winter months, I usually make pasta sauce with a packet of spice mix and a can of tomato paste, but there’s no reason to do that in the summer with so much fresh produce available. I started with this recipe, and swapped out what I had on hand.

Here’s my version of the ingredients and instructions: sautee in olive oil one chopped tomato, one green pepper (from our own garden!), three cloves garlic, one chopped white eggplant, five chopped tomatoes, a handful of fresh basil (cut with kitchen shears), and two sprigs of fresh oregano. Salt and pepper to taste.

I suspect the eggplant would have tasted better if I’d prepared it according to the original recipe, but time was short after work, and this way was fine. “Next time” I’ll pre-cook the eggplant in larger slices so it’s nice and tender, then make the rest of the sauce.

Here you see soy crumbles and shredded cheese, making a nutritious and tasty meal over whole wheat pasta. Endorsed by Mr. Spice asking for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment