Sunday, November 18, 2018

Ice creams in Germany


OK, this is NOT a comprehensive listing of all your choices… just four that have caught my eye. Well, caught my palate? When I’m out and about, I prefer gelato, but I can’t keep it in the house…only single serve or very small containers of healthy choices.
When I was a kid growing up in Germany, my brother and I really liked this ice cream bar. It was a special treat from the local family-run grocery store. I don’t understand what a North American Native has to do with the title (Brown Bear) in German! I’ve been looking for this ice cream since we moved to Germany in 2015, and when I finally found it, I was thrilled. The flavor is not as great as I remember, which is more likely due to my taste buds evolving, but they may have changed the recipe. My favorite mint-flavored gum is now inedible due to a packaging and recipe change.
I always order a Mango Lassi when it is on the menu, and even tried to make one at home, with less than stellar results. These ice cream bars are really neat, and I’ll definitely get more. If only I could remember which store I found them in. It took over a month to re-find the banana protein milk I discovered in one store, which is NOT stocked in 4 or 5 other stores I sometimes go to. I had to write the store name on the notice board in our house.  
This stuff is very good, and I wonder if the extra protein cancels out the calories? Like, crumbs have no calories? Just kidding. A nutritionist told me that I’m not getting enough protein, as I don’t cook meat or even fish much for myself. My Great Protein Experiment is for another post, but I grabbed everything I could find with extra protein, including two ice creams. We had terrific peanut butter ice cream where we used to live, made with coconut milk, but haven’t been able to find that here yet.
Lastly, this protein ice cream is best served over fruit/dessert. It’s fine by itself but is spectacular over fruit crisp- check out this home-made quince beauty! Yay for the fun protein choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment