Wednesday, December 26, 2018

No wreaths here = swags!


We didn’t need a live tree or wreaths on the door where we used to live in Germany because we were working full time and usually on the road at the end of December. We always had a wreath with candles for the table, that that was enough.

When we got to Stuttgart last year on December 19th, we didn’t bother getting a tree, and I couldn’t find any wreaths for our doors. This year I thought about getting a tree but decided that greenery in the house would suffice instead of a tree. I searched high and low for wreaths, seeing plenty of table-top wreaths with candles, when FINALLY today there were wreaths!!! But wait, they were tiny- the size of my hand. Um, why? 
Everywhere sells greenery, so I scrounged up some creative courage and made swags! The boughs to make 4 large swags cost about the same as 3 teeny tiny wreaths, and I’m pleased with the fragrant results.
HRH, aka my assistant, served in a supervisory role while I set out the branches and US wreath holders. I got one bundle of pine boughs, a bundle of what looks like spruce, and two small bundles of mixed greens. Each swag had a little bit of this and that, and were topped by US red bows that survived the transatlantic move!
The house smells nice and looks festive.

No comments:

Post a Comment