Monday, December 30, 2019

An upstate New York phenomenon?

Someone please tell me if this is common in other states- it was not in Eastern Massachusetts. I have been surprised to discover the high quality of some products in GAS STATION shops!!! In several communities around Boston where we used to live, you could get a soda and a slim jim while paying for gas, and in later years, maybe a slushee and a hot dog. In Germany, it was about the same in regular gas stations.
The military “shopettes” in Europe were known for a huge selection of food, beverages, magazines, and more, which was a nice convenience unless you just wanted to pay for your gas and had to wait in line behind people doing a larger grocery shopping trip! Just kidding… sorta.
Anyway, I didn’t pay any attention to the gas station shops in our new community until I was enlightened by Mr. Ice Cream. He was thrilled that the “Stewarts” near our house has fantastic ice cream. We have on occasion disagreed about the quality and flavor of some foods, but I regret that this time he was spot on! I don’t like ice cream in the winter but I was convinced to give this place a try, and it was the best ice cream I’ve had in New York state, and in the USA in general for a long time.
My favorites so far have been gelato in Europe, moosetracks ice cream in Swampscott, Massachusetts, and peach ice cream in Texas. The following week I gassed up at Stewart's for the first time, and I noticed that inside the clear cover of the gas nozzle handle was a frequent ice-cream buyer card!
Anyway, someone else referred me to the “Dexter Market” in the next town over, so I decided to give it a try. Guess what? It is a gas station mart! And it is phenomenal! After the usual suspects of dry goods, beverages, and frozen items, there was a nice selection of local cider, fruits/veggies and a huge deli section. I got maple bbq sauce that was tasty and a few freshly made items. They even had the right light bulbs that we needed for 3 different fixtures in our new house!
Now I notice when I drive past most gas stations in the area that the signs feature the retail store larger than the type of gas sold. According to Mr. Ice Cream, some of them have “good” pastries, others feature dairy/deli, etc. etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment