Monday, December 23, 2019

More Missing Boston


The first time I returned to Boston after moving to Germany, I had some reverse clture shock, even though it had only been a few months since the move. For example, in Germany speeding tickets are issued by cameras placed at the sides of the roads, so people tend to follow the speed limits much more closely than Americans. I was surprised that people were blowing past me on the Mass Pike like I was standing still (I was not!). Also, the speed limit in Maryland seemed so slow (55 MPH), which I tried really hard to stick to in the interest of avoiding a ticket.
outside my doctor's office in Germany (1 of 4 parking spots)
Most of my posts go on and on about the wonders of Europe, but I’m grateful for many things in our former home state. Today I was reminded how much I liked the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. I also like really huge American parking spaces, which you all take for granted. Most of us over here can barely fit our cars into the spot, and then the door doesn’t open all the way so you are doing the limbo to get out without scratching the neighbor’s car.
I miss the salty air in Boston and Salem. The woods in Germany smell fresh, but the breezy brine is just something else. I get all sentimental when I hear a seagull here in Norway or see the ocean in the Netherlands. I don’t miss waiting around for the T in Boston. Near our house in Europe, they apologize if the train is one minute delayed!
Kelly's Roast Beef, Saugus, MA
I also miss the seafood in New England, especially lobstah! You can get fried fish filets in southern Germany (sometimes frozen), and plenty of seafood in the north of Germany, which is 7 hours away by car. My favorite in Hamburg is teeny tiny shrimps in mayo on a fresh roll (Nordseekrabbensalat). The last time I was in Massachusetts, I was like Forrest Gump: lobster roll, lobster salad, lobster pizza (meh), lobster bisque, whole lobster with butter, etc. etc. Too bad the prices are pretty high, but once per year or every other year, I can blow the budget on my favorite crustacean.
Dubuque, Iowa
The food in Europe is outstanding, but you have to make an effort to find healthy choices when dining out. I used to get Schnitzel all the time, but am definitely eating less meat, and the portion sizes are usually too big. Pretzels taste wonderful, and in the region where we are now, they are cut in half at the bakery and slathered with butter between the pretzel halves!!! Pastries here are ok, but French pastries are way better. I can’t really eat American baked goods any more because they taste way too sweet.
If you've ever had these, you know where they are from!
OK, more to come after some summer travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment