Wednesday, May 16, 2012

BBQ Ribs (secret ingredient is celery seeds)


Who knew that celery seeds would be such a key ingredient in this recipe? It’s been prepared this way in my family for over 25 years, and gets hauled out now whenever the craving hits. I know there are regional specialty recipes for rubs, marinades, etc. but this is the only way I know how to make it. I’ll continue to appreciate variations during my travels! 


3 lbs ribs (or more, and then increase sauce!)
Sauce: 2 tbsp butter or margarine, 1 cup ketchup, 2/3 cup chili sauce, 4 tbsp brown sugar, 4 tbsp chopped onion, 2 tbsp mustard, 2 tbsp Worcester sauce, 1 tsp celery seeds, ¼ tsp salt, hot sauce to taste, 2-3 thin lemon slices.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Boil water in large pot deep enough to cover ribs, boil ribs for 1 hour. If you prepare this recipe using a slow cooker, skip the boiling step and place ribs into the crock pot uncooked.

Fry onion and lemon slices in butter, add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Place ribs in baking dish, and pour sauce over ribs. Bake 20 minutes. If you are running short on time and using a crock pot, sauce ingredients may be placed unheated into the crock pot over the ribs. I've left everything in the slow cooker for 8-10 hours on low with great results.
What is your favorite BBQ sauce or rib preparation method? 
Here is one of my trusty "helpers" while I organized recipes!


No comments:

Post a Comment