Sunday, June 22, 2014

Almond flour/Hazelnut flour chocolate chip cookies

It’s been a while since I’ve done any interesting cooking or baking, so I decided to use some of the unique flours I have and freeze some cookies for upcoming road trips. I know that in general, you can substitute part of the regular flour called for in recipes with specialty flours, but I searched on-line for hazelnut flour recipes, and discovered feastie.com with tons of gorgeous choices! 

I had toasted hazelnut flour and toasted almond flour, so I made two batches, one with each type of specialty flour and chocolate. Regrettably (?), I had stocked up on a variety of chocolate chips, so I had plenty of half-bags to choose from (Mr. Spice’s doing!). The adapted the recipe is as follows:

Brown 1 stick of butter (1/2 cup) by heating it over medium heat in a small pot until it’s a golden brown color. Stir in ¾ cup maple sugar*. Add 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. 
In a separate bowl, combine 1 cup whole wheat flour, ¾ cup toasted almond flour , ¼ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon baking powder and 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon. Fold into liquid ingredients. Add 2 tablespoons skim milk or a bit more if the dough is quite firm. Fold in ¾ cup white chocolate chips. 
Drop by rounded tablespoon onto an ungreased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 9-10 minutes. Cool on wire racks. *I’ve been getting maple sugar from my co-op, which sources it from Square Deal Farm in Vermont.
For thin bars, press into 9x13 pan, or for thicker bars, use a square baking dish. I forgot to time the bars, but used the touch test to check for done-ness (press very gently and when it feels mostly firm to the touch, they're done). Please note, these are deliciously healthier cookies, with a special nutty flavor. They are not your average fluffy cooky, but I'm glad about that. Just a head's up that they are a bit denser and unique!

No comments:

Post a Comment