Sunday, July 13, 2014

The great paleo experiment

My neighbor wrote a book, which helped me to understand one person’s transition from a vegetarian diet to an “ancestral” way of eating. I don’t tend to jump on the latest diet bandwagon, but after attending a discussion group about the book, I decided to learn more about grain free eating. Websites and library books helped me to gain an understanding of the philosophy, and I’ve tried a few recipes.
The first one is adapted from “Practical Paleo” by Diane Sanfilippo. I could not bring myself to use a dozen eggs in one dish, because I’ve worked so hard over the past decade to lower my cholesterol without medication. I used 6 eggs and 6 servings of liquid egg substitute. Do any of you have experience with paleo-style eating while keeping cholesterol levels under control? Many recipes I’ve seen so far include bacon (which I love!), butter, and lots of eggs. 
In the two and a half years I’ve been blogging here, I rarely rave about kitchen tools, but I’m gaga about my new julienne gadget! Wahoo, that was fun! Here is the recipe with my modifications: beat 6 eggs in a large bowl. Add 1 and ½ cups liquid egg substitute, 1 zuccini (shredded or julienned- about 1 and ¼ cups), 2 large carrots (1 cup shredded/julienned),  ½ teaspoon rosemary, ½ teaspoon sage, ½ teaspoon salt. Stir and pour into well greased* 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. * don’t be like me and try to use “I can’t believe it’s not butter” to grease the pan. No photos of a pretty serving of this dish because it stuck to the pan…though it tasted fine. Use real butter to grease the baking dish.
I’ve enjoyed this crustless quiche, and look forward to new flavor combinations (mushrooms, caramelized onion, etc.). What is your favorite Paleo cookbook, website, or recipe?

1 comment:

  1. I'd love to hear comments on cholesterol and paleo...I too have worked hard to control my cholesterol without meds and am curious about paleo.

    ReplyDelete