Thursday, August 9, 2012

Risotto with sage

When searching for sage recipes, I found this risotto, with entirely different flavorings (though equally delicious) compared with the first recipe I posted back in February 2012. I made several modifications to the directions, some “by accident”, others intentionally, so this version includes the changes from the original at http://www.sagerecipes.com/2011/10/19/did-someone-say-pork-belly/

   4 cups chicken stock        2 strips of bacon                       ½ onion, chopped            2 garlic gloves, minced                 1 1/2 cups rice (I used mixed brown rice and red quinoa)          1/2 cup white wine          1 tablespoons dried sage                1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
I followed the directions from the link, and was worried that the dried sage might not be as good as fresh- it seemed to blend in and be absorbed. But in the end, the flavor was solid and interesting, definitely worth the time gradually adding liquids.
I don't think I've ever used sage for anything other than roasted chicken, so I'm grateful to other bloggers for leading the way- it's way more fun than digging through the shelves of actual cookbooks that I own! Do you have an interesting use for sage?

No comments:

Post a Comment