Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pork with marjoram and mushrooms


I was amazed with the many results from an on-line search for recipes with marjoram, so I checked my freezer inventory and then looked to see if there were any interesting recipes for pork with marjoram. Sure enough, there were several, even when adding the word “blog” to the end of the search! I don’t remember ever using marjoram, so it was great to find a recipe with mushrooms and the other two search ingredients.

I didn’t make any substitutions for a change, except supplementing the fresh mushrooms with a small can of more of the same, since the fresh ones didn’t add up to three cups. We served the stew with potatoes from our own garden! I admit that marjoram is not one of my favorite spices, or maybe I should give it another chance with a different combination of ingredients. I might have preferred this dish with garlic and onion (I know I said that about the green fried tomatoes, too!). I guess I should be aware of recipes coming from a variety of sources with different amounts of flavor. I am used to a level of strength of flavor- such as garlic and onion plus featured herbs and spices, if that makes any sense.

I have truly enjoyed trying many different combinations of spices and vegetables, meats, seafood, and sweet ingredients, resulting in a wonderful variety of dishes. I’m more than half-way "through the spice rack", and am considering exploring the world of fresh herbs, as I’d hate to stop challenging myself through this blog just because the spice rack has been conquered. I’d also like to continue photographing foods and nature. I’m still learning, too! Especially about photographing my creations- this is not one of the best food styling results (dark lumps are blue potatoes):
This is a request for your ideas and suggestions. I don’t have to feel tied to a certain theme, so please let me know what you’d like to see in the food or gardening blogging department.

No comments:

Post a Comment