Friday, November 30, 2012

Dabbling with paint

I've taken two painting classes recently. I felt nervous before hand, because I thought I "couldn't" paint anything recognizable. The results were good enough to put a smile on my face and I can look at the paintings with fond memories of the process.
 I felt discouraged in school when "art" teachers insisted that a (professional) work be reproduced by students. Though this years' experiences were practically paint by numbers, it was FUN! I encourage you to give it a try. I don't own any paints, so was glad to go to a couple of different storefront venues where all supplies are provided, along with music and instructors. One pump of red paint, three pumps of black paint, etc.
I CAN paint most of the canvas light blue, and the lower third dark blue! It doesn't have to be perfect. Who knew that a city skyline is painted with grey rectangles? Not too difficult, with the instructors' encouragement. Everyone's unique painting was interesting and an accomplishment.
Mixing colors is nifty, too. I had no idea about layering dabs of paint in various shades to look like water ripples. You can even use paper towels to speckle lighter and darker colors around, hoping to stop before the speckles look like mud! Give it a try and don't let people judge you compared with someone else's ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment