Thursday, November 15, 2012

Multi-spice cranberry orange muffins


I’ve been eager to make these muffins again, using my new zester and different types of flour (though they were just fantastic the first time I prepared them exactly as directed, before I started this blog). I was thrilled with the new zester- it made the job a joy compared with past struggles.
I used one cup of white flour, half a cup of whole wheat flour, and half a cup of toasted hazelnut flour*. I used half a teaspoon of cinnamon, and a quarter teaspoon each of nutmeg and ginger. I chopped the cranberries roughly and added an extra tablespoon of hot water due to the whole wheat flour. I used only ¾ cup of sugar, which was ok for my taste buds, but I might add some honey or maple syrup next time to make up for the reduction in sugar from the original recipe.

The alternate flours tasted super. I will make these muffins many times in the future, and may mess around with pumpkin filling, apples, coconut, chocolate chips- who knows?

*I didn’t have enough mix for waffles last week, and used about a quarter cup of toasted hazelnut flour to replace the mix I was short on, and the waffles were heavenly! The hazelnut flavor was just right and the texture of the waffles was the same…I think I’m going to make the same substitution every time! 


No comments:

Post a Comment